This blended learning apprenticeship course has been designed to provide a flexible way to study whilst being employed in adult healthcare services. During this apprenticeship you’ll get the opportunity to learn in a supportive, forward-thinking and well-connected environment, where you’ll explore all aspects of adult nursing, from the fundamentals of providing care to more advanced topics such as complex needs, and leadership and management.
- You’ll have the opportunity to study to become a nurse in a flexible way, that fits around work and life.
- Supported by a team who really understand what it’s like to be an adult nurse, you’ll learn through online through seminars, group work, simulation and practical skills experience.
- In our fully equipped simulated ward, you’ll have the opportunity to put what you’ve learnt into practice in a safe environment using our patient simulators.
- You’ll undertake clinical placements throughout the course in a variety of settings including hospitals, nursing homes, in the community, as well as voluntary and private sectors.
- You’ll have the opportunity to hear the experiences and viewpoints from service users and carers, who are part of the Public Partnership Group.
The course is mainly delivered through digital technologies and also involves practical, hands-on experience. Although the theoretical component is predominantly delivered online, you’ll attend the campus in Huddersfield (or similar venue close to your home) for a maximum total of four one-week blocks for simulation and skills training. You’ll do this in each year of the course, providing the opportunity for you to practise skills in a safe and controlled environment. You’ll also undertake practice placements across the NHS and healthcare organisations in a setting close to home.
In line with the apprenticeship model, the course is designed to support a training in practice approach. Whilst undertaking the course you’ll remain employed by your host organisation and may spend 20% of your time in your current workplace. The remaining 80% will be spent at the University undertaking theory work and clinical placements. The course is designed to be progressively demanding and once qualified you’ll be eligible to apply for registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) and work as a Registered Nurse for Adults.
This course has been designed for those who would like to become a nurse and are located within the North East, Yorkshire and the Humber, Cheshire and Merseyside, North West, Cumbria or North Lincolnshire.