With 379 million speakers worldwide, English is the third most spoken language in the world. It acts a bridge between people from different corners of the globe, speaking diverse languages in different dialects and facilitates a common medium of communication for all.
English language proficiency tests were developed around a standard framework that assess the test taker’s proficiency in English. It tests specific skills, primarily listening, speaking, reading and writing. So, if you are willing to pursue your higher education in an English-speaking country like the UK, then the demonstration of your English language proficiency is one of the primary requirements.
Who Needs to Take English Language Proficiency test?
The admission to your undergraduate, postgraduate, or doctoral degree is based on your score in one of the UKVI approved English language test. International students from non-English speaking nations, who are willing to pursue their higher education in one of the several prestigious universities in the UK, needs to prove their proficiency in English. However, in some cases, even students from native English speaking nations might also have to prove their expertise in English to undertake academic pursuits in the UK.
Why Do International Students Require English Language Proficiency test?
- Helps you set clear goals. Taking an English language proficiency test helps you determine your specific skill level – whether you are at a beginner , intermediate or an expert level. Designed and organized around a standard framework to assess, these tests also gives you a clear picture of the skills that you need to work upon.
- Helps build confidence. Being certified by one of the standard and globally approved English proficiency tests helps you build your confidence to succeed in an academic and work environment where English is the only medium of interaction.
- Academic Advantages. Higher education often involves extensive research and rigorous independent study. Also, universities in the UK boasts of hosting expert faculties from across the world. Being proficient in English and demonstrating your language skills helps you to engage and interact effectively in your academic environment. It helps boosts your confidence to present academic papers, actively engage in team activities and reach your utmost potential.
- Helps to build a home away from home, quicker! In a country like the UK which is famous for hosting international students from across the globe, English language acts as a unifier. Qualifying an English language proficiency test not only helps in acquainting you with your abilities but also gives you an opportunity to work on your weakness. This, in turn, helps you develop and build interpersonal relationships with your fellow students, faculty members, and people around you. Being proficient in English helps you assimilate into the new culture quicker and adapt to the new environment faster.
- Employment Opportunities. International students with proficient English language skills are found to gain greater and high paying employment opportunities. Whether it is an internship at a multinational, a graduate job at a reputed firm or retail job in the local supermarket – English language expertise is a common requirement to succeed in all your employment pursuits. If you want to gain professional work experience, develop industry specific skills, and also earn while you study, it is important for you to be fluent in English – speaking, listening, reading and writing.
List of UKVI-Approved English Proficiency Test Providers
As a student willing to pursue your higher studies in the UK, you will have to provide evidence of your English proficiency by undertaking a Secure English Language Test (SELT) from one of the following UKVI approved test providers only:
- Pearson or PTE?Academic
- PSI Services
- Trinity College London: ‘Secure English Language Tests for?UKVI’ – Integrated Skills in English (ISE) or Graded Examinations in Spoken English (GESE)
Acceptance of English language tests
For your English language proficiency tests to be accepted for admission by universities in the UK, ensure that
- The test is on the UKVI approved English language tests.
- The test has been administered at an approved location.
- The test has been awarded not more than two years before the date of application.
Are you ready to start building your future?
Contact our admission counseller and get a free consultation.