UK Student Visa Requirements | Student Connect

International students planning to pursue higher education in the UK are required for apply for Student Visas. And there are lots of UK student visa requirements that you ought to know. At Student Connect, we provide you with step-by-step assistance regarding the entire UK students visa application process. Assistance is also provided regarding the requirements for obtaining a Student Visa - Academic, English-language proficiency, Financial etc.) along with any other specifications, as needed.

Since 5 October 2020, 'Tier 4 (General)' leave has become 'Student' permission and 'Tier 4 (Child)' leave has become 'Child student' permission. 'Student' includes Tier 4 (General) and 'Child student' includes Tier 4 (Child). Please visit UK Government Website and UKCISA for further information. Below are the top requirements to be eligible for a UK Students Visa.

Student visas can only be issued for certain courses.

If your course is eligible, your education provider (Student sponsor/ University) will give you a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) which you use to apply for a student visa. The course details will be on the CAS and your offer letters.

The courses you can apply for are full-time degrees both undergraduate and postgraduate.

You are also eligible for courses that are below degree level such as Pre-Sessional English courses, Pre master courses or foundation courses which are preparatory courses for your main degree course you will be studying.

Part-time postgraduate course requirements

You can also study part-time postgraduate courses with some restrictions such as no work, no work placements or no dependents. (These are usually for professionals who have a full-time job but are happy to live in the UK studying part-time but working full time on their jobs).

UK Government Approved Educational Institution

You can ONLY apply to study in those higher education providers that are recognized by the UK Visas and Immigration authorities. A full list of these institutions can be found in UK Government Approved Educational Institution

Maintenance Fund

You will need to ensure you have sufficient maintenance or money to undertake studies in the UK and must demonstrate this to UKVI for you to get your visa. If you are looking to apply for a student visa in the UK from Bangladesh, it’s better to make sure you can cover the finances. This is an important step for you to become eligible as per the UK study visa requirements!


Additional Evidence

You may need additional evidence such as an ATAS certificate while applying for a graduate visa in the UK. This is a certificate needed for certain courses in STEM subjects which the university will communicate to you on.

Documents needed for CAS

  • You must have original educational documents such as degree certificate, transcripts and letters used to obtain admission and mentioned in your CAS.
  • You may need to provide evidence of a health screening typically TB test and given current COVID times other medical tests if applicable.
  • You will also need to apply to a university, obtain an unconditional offer letter which requires you to meet all academic and English language conditions imposed on you by your chosen university. Once you fulfil all admission requirements the University will issue you with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).

Requirements before Visa application

  • Your CAS is an electronic document and master document which you will use to apply for your visa and thus must make sure all details on the CAS are correct, we will assist you in checking for this information as well. A CAS can be viewed by UKVI when assessing your visa application.
  • You must not have any unspent or pending criminal convictions as this will most likely lead to a visa refusal under ‘good character assessment’.
  • Ensure you declare all information truthfully to Student Connect and UKVI when applying for a visa.
  • You will also be called in for an interview by the UK Visa Officer before a visa is issued to you. (discussed later).

These are the student visa UK requirements that you must adhere to.

How to Use Your UK Student Visa

Upon entry into the UK, an immigration officer at the UK port of entry will stamp your passport with details on the duration of your stay. Make sure you are fully vaccinated and bring your immunisation record for presentation to the Border Agency officer.

You should also carry essential documents proving your study abroad status, including a Letter of Acceptance, proof of accommodation and proof of finances.

After being cleared, you can use your visa to:

  • Study at a UK institution
  • Work as a student during your holidays (up to 20 hours per week)
  • Switch from another visa category, if you meet the eligibility requirements
  • Join your family members in the UK (if they have settled or pre-settled status)
  • Travel within the UK and Ireland

You must apply for a different visa if you want to do anything not listed above. Check the UK Visas and Immigration website to see what type of visa you need.

Types of Student UK Visas

Students over 18 years old taking short courses are eligible for a short-term study visa. Most short courses are only valid for six months, but English language courses can be extended to 11 months.

If you're enrolled in a longer academic program, you'll need to ensure your school has a Student Sponsor License. You can apply for a child student visa (for ages 4-17 who want to study at an independent school) or a general student visa (ages 16 and above).

Are you ready to start building your future?

Contact our admission counseller and get a free consultation.