International students planning to pursue higher education in the UK are required for apply for Student Visas. At Student Connect, we provide you with step-by-step assistance regarding the entire visa application process. Assistance is also provided regarding the requirements for obtaining a Student Visa - Academic, English-language proficiency, Financial etc.) along with any other specifications, as needed.
Since 5 October 2020, 'Tier 4 (General)' leave has become 'Student' permission and 'Tier 4 (Child)' leave has become 'Child student' permission. 'Student' includes Tier 4 (General) and 'Child student' includes Tier 4 (Child). Please visit UK Government Website and UKCISA for further information. Below are the top requirements to be eligible for a Student Visa.
Student visas can only be issued for certain courses.
If your course is eligible, your education provider (Student sponsor/ University) will give you a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) which you use to apply for a student visa. The course details will be on the CAS and your offer letters.
The courses you can apply for are full-time degrees both undergraduate and postgraduate.
You are also eligible for courses that are below degree level such as Pre-Sessional English courses, Pre master courses or foundation courses which are preparatory courses for your main degree course you will be studying.
Part-time postgraduate course requirements
You can also study part-time postgraduate courses with some restrictions such as no work, no work placements or no dependents. (These are usually for professionals who have a full-time job but are happy to live in the UK studying part-time but working full time on their jobs).
UK Government Approved Educational Institution
You can ONLY apply to study in those higher education providers that are recognized by the UK Visas and Immigration authorities. A full list of these institutions can be found in UK Government Approved Educational Institution
You will need to ensure you have sufficient maintenance or money to undertake studies in the UK and must demonstrate this to UKVI for you to get your visa.
You may need additional evidence such as an ATAS certificate – this is a certificate needed for certain courses in STEM subjects which the university will communicate to you on.
Documents needed for CAS
- You must have original educational documents such as degree certificate, transcripts and letters used to obtain admission and mentioned in your CAS.
- You may need to provide evidence of a health screening typically TB test and given current COVID times other medical tests if applicable.
- You will also need to apply to a university, obtain an unconditional offer letter which requires you to meet all academic and English language conditions imposed on you by your chosen university. Once you fulfil all admission requirements the University will issue you with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
Requirements before Visa application
- Your CAS is an electronic document and master document which you will use to apply for your visa and thus must make sure all details on the CAS are correct, we will assist you in checking for this information as well. A CAS can be viewed by UKVI when assessing your visa application.
- You must not have any unspent or pending criminal convictions as this will most likely lead to a visa refusal under ‘good character assessment’.
- Ensure you declare all information truthfully to Student Connect and UKVI when applying for a visa.
- You will also be called in for an interview by the UK Visa Officer before a visa is issued to you. (discussed later).
Are you ready to start building your future?
Contact our admission counseller and get a free consultation.