This apprenticeship course has been designed to provide the opportunity to study whilst being employed in child healthcare services. During this apprenticeship you’ll get the opportunity to develop the vital skills, values and confidence you need to care for children, young people and their families whatever their circumstances, including those with acute illness, long-term conditions or those who need help to maintain their health.
- You’ll develop and practise your clinical skills in a safe environment in our fully-equipped simulated children’s ward using our patient simulators.
- Clinical placements provide opportunities for you to put what you’ve learnt into practice in a variety of acute settings including children's wards, accident and emergency departments and neonatal intensive care.
- Opportunities are available to work with specialist nurses in a range of community settings including GP surgeries, health centers, children's hospices, as well as mainstream and specialist schools.
- You’ll have the opportunity to hear the experiences and viewpoints from service users and carers, who are part of the Public Partnership Group.
- You’ll also learn how to respond to the needs of all patients and service users from all fields of adult, learning disability and mental health nursing.
In line with the apprenticeship model, the course is designed to support a training in practice approach. Whilst undertaking the course you’ll remain employed by your host organization and may spend 20% of your time in your current workplace. The remaining 80% will be spent at the University undertaking theory work and clinical placements. The course is designed to be progressively demanding and once qualified you’ll be eligible to apply for registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) and work as a Registered Nurse for Children.