University of Huddersfield - Podiatry Degree Apprenticeship BSc Hons

University of Huddersfield

Podiatry Degree Apprenticeship BSc Hons

This apprenticeship course has been designed to provide the opportunity to study Podiatry BSc(Hons) whilst being employed within a Podiatry team. During the apprenticeship you’ll have the opportunity to build the knowledge and skills you need whilst learning in specialist clinical facilities. We aim to provide you with the skills to improve the mobility and quality of life of your patients.

  • You’ll have the opportunity to gain vital experience using our fully equipped on-site Podiatry Clinic, surgical theatre suite, biomechanics gait analysis equipment and orthotics laboratory.
  • Clinical placements will be undertaken each year, where you can put what you’ve learnt to the test in the real world.
  • The course helps to prepare you for working as part of a multidisciplinary team, as you’ll take part in interprofessional learning alongside physiotherapists, occupational therapists and pharmacy students.
  • You’ll have the opportunity to hear the experiences and viewpoints from service users and carers, who are part of the Public Partnership Group.
  • You’ll have the opportunity to qualify with a certificate in local anaesthesia and prescription only medicines (POMs) annotation.

In line with the apprenticeship model, whilst undertaking the course you’ll remain employed by your host organisation and during term time you’ll spend 40% of the time in your current workplace and the remaining 60% at the University undertaking theoretical and practical skills development. The course culminates in an End Point Assessment (EPA) which is independently assessed outside of the Higher Education Institution. The course is designed to be progressively demanding and once qualified you’ll will be eligible to apply for registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).

Entry Requirements

BBat A Level .

DDMin BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma.

NCFE CACHE Technical Level 3 Extended Diploma.

Access to Higher Education Diploma with 45 Level 3 credits, 30 at Distinction and 15 Level 3 credits at Merit

If your first language is not English, you will need to meet the minimum requirements of an English Language qualification. The minimum for IELTS is 6.5 overall with no element lower than 6.0, or equivalent will be considered acceptable.

Career Prospects

As a registered practitioner, you can apply to work within the NHS in hospitals and community health trusts, private practice and education. After further training you could specialize in musculoskeletal care, orthotics, diabetes and high-risk patients, as well as podiatric surgery.

Placements are a compulsory element of the course and take place in a range of different NHS settings. You'll undertake 435 hours on placement throughout the duration of the course. The placements will provide you with:

  • Orientation to the NHS and introduction to podiatry in the NHS.
  • Supervised work providing treatment of patients requiring foot care assistant level care.
  • A wider range of clinical practice experience to include an overview of the roles of other healthcare practitioners.
  • Supervised management of patients requiring complex interventions in a range of treatment locations, including those patients deemed to be at risk or those whose environment create additional risk.

Please note that you may be required to travel for/during your placements.

Course Details

Year 1

Clinical Podiatry 1
Lower Limb Structure and Function
Medicine 1
Podiatric Theory 1
Professional Development and Research 1

Year 2

Clinical Podiatry 2
Introduction to Musculoskeletal Podiatry
Medicine 2
Research 2

Year 3

Clinical Podiatry 3
Podiatry and the High Risk Patient
Podiatry in Contemporary Practice and End Point Assessment
Research 3

*The information’s are correct at the time of publishing, however it may change if university makes any changes after we have published the information. While we try our best to provide correct information, It is advisable to call us or visit university website for up to date information.

Are you ready to start building your future?

Contact our admission counseller and get a free consultation.