University of Huddersfield - Midwifery Studies (Degree Apprenticeship) BSc(Hons)

University of Huddersfield

Midwifery Studies (Degree Apprenticeship) BSc(Hons)

The midwifery apprenticeship course provides learners the opportunity to study on the Midwifery Studies Degree Apprenticeship BSc(Hons) whilst being employed by and working in an NHS Trust. The apprenticeship programme is designed to help you become a competent, confident and autonomous practitioner with the knowledge and skills to pursue a successful midwifery career. Learning from experienced midwives and gaining real-world experience in a variety of healthcare settings, you’ll be able to prepare to make a difference in the lives of women and their families.

  • The apprenticeship course at Huddersfield is designed by midwives, regulated by the Nursing and Midwifery Council and meets the standards set by the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
  • You'll be employed by an NHS Trust for the duration of your apprenticeship.
  • Your employer will provide protected time for you to attend the University as a learner and complete the requirements of the Midwifery Studies Degree Apprenticeship BSc(Hons) course.
  • During your midwifery apprenticeship you'll undertake clinical placements in a range of settings including birth centres, midwife-led units, labour suites, antenatal/postnatal wards, as well as in the community.
  • You'll learn how to provide individualised care for the mother/ birthing person and baby throughout pregnancy, labour, birth and the early days of parenthood.

You'll be recruited and employed as an apprentice midwife by an NHS Trust and for the duration of the apprenticeship training course you'll work 20% of your contracted hours in a healthcare support worker or maternity support worker level role. The remaining 80% of your contracted hours you'll be supported to attend the Midwifery Studies Degree Apprenticeship BSc(Hons) course, learning alongside traditional route BSc(Hons) midwifery students. You'll participate in theory-based modules and practice-based modules which will include midwifery clinical practice placements. You'll apply your new knowledge, skills and behaviours within the clinical practice placements, progressively taking more responsibility for contributing to and leading in the care of women/ birthing people and families.

Entry Requirements

  • ABB at A Level including a Biological Science, but excluding General Studies. 
  • 128UCAS tariff points from a maximum of three Level 3 qualifications including an A Level Biological Science at a minimum grade B and excluding General Studies
  • DDM in BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care
  • In addition, you must have completed 12 years of general education and have GCSE English Language or Literature and Maths at grade 4 or above, or grade C or above if awarded under the previous GCSE grading scheme.
  • IELTS is 6.5 overall with no element lower than 6.0, or equivalent will be considered acceptable.

Course Details

Year 1

Biological Sciences for Midwifery - Apprenticeship
Introduction to Evidence-Informed Enquiry in Midwifery - Apprenticeship
Introducing Newborn and Family Health - Apprenticeship
Introducing Universal Midwifery Care for all Women - Apprenticeship
Participating in Midwifery Care - Apprenticeship

Year 2

Challenges to Newborn and Family Health – Apprenticeship
Contributing to Midwifery Practice – Apprenticeship
Evidence Based Midwifery Practice – Apprenticeship
Supporting Women with Additional Care Needs – Apprenticeship

Year 3

Advocacy and Leadership in Midwifery Practice – Apprenticeship
Care and Systematic Assessment of the Newborn – Apprenticeship
Midwifery Research Project - Apprenticeship
Proficiency in Midwifery Practice – Apprenticeship

*The information’s are correct at the time of publishing, however it may change if university makes any changes after we have published the information. While we try our best to provide correct information, It is advisable to call us or visit university website for up to date information.

Are you ready to start building your future?

Contact our admission counseller and get a free consultation.