Our course is designed to develop creative problem solving and innovative creative pattern cutting skills, incorporating new technologies and sustainable approaches. The course encourages research and discussion of new methods and experimental techniques in creative pattern cutting, to develop practical and analytical skills. The course aims to support the development of imaginative approaches to problem solving within the technical and design sector of the fashion industry.
The aim of this course is to enable you to:
- Critically appraise the importance of social, technological and cultural dimensions of garment construction as applied to your personal practice and that of others.
- Evidence advanced knowledge and understanding of the complete fashion design cycle, from concept to garment including its emerging and future trends.
- Systematically plan, negotiate, and implement a coherent body of work underpinned by advanced practice and research in creative pattern cutting.
- Contribute to the principles and processes inherent in design and creative pattern cutting to extend the life of clothing.
- Evidence awareness and relevance of your practice in relation to professional standards in creative pattern cutting and garment construction.
Practical modules are run by staff who are practicing designers with expertise in the role of Creative Pattern Cutter. You will acquire strong 2D and 3D technical skills required to establish your career or advance your current practice. Students are encouraged to engage with other departments within the University, such as 3D printing, laser cutting, textile print, embroidery and weave. This course is suited to applicants who wish to develop a future career within the industry or who wish to advance their existing skills in this area.