The course is made up of five modules taught over three semesters (January - December):
You will research the history of your mentored institution and demonstrate a critical understanding of that institution and its historical and contemporary significance within the wider cultural environment. You will familiarise yourself with the contemporary curatorial scene, enabling you to make sense of the structures and practices that underpin it.
- Developing Practice and Audiences
You will put theoretical understanding of audiences and market into practice through a group project. This project requires you to map historical contexts and contemporary curatorial practices, both generally and in relation to the institutions and audiences with which you are working.
This module introduces you to different forms of curatorial practice and philosophies of curating. Exploring and evaluating multidisciplinary practice within a professional context and building on the
module in semester one. In this module you will examine curatorial practices in museums, galleries, cinema, festivals, biennials, science centres and heritage sites.
- Curating and Project Management
The emphasis is on situating your project firmly within the contemporary curatorial scene, and in relation to cultural, policy issues and comparable practices happening simultaneously. You will be encouraged to use a wide range of methods to identify and document contemporary developments. Methods include interviewing, participant observation, visiting similar events, and communicating with others involved in similar cultural developments in the UK and internationally.
- Final Project: Curating (MA) or Final Project: Curating (MFA)
You will work on either your Final Project: Curating (MA) or Final Project: Curating (MFA). For the MA, there will be a curatorial project (60%) and an evaluative document (40%) and for the MFA the project will account for 40% of the mark and the other 60% will be for a dissertation.
These modules involve the production of, and reflection on, a major piece of curatorial work, usually produced in collaboration with a partner institution. You will be expected to work independently and document your on-going practice and reflections with support from academic and partner mentors.
Learning and Teaching
You are taught through a series of lectures, seminars, practical workshops, master classes and projects. Guest speakers and study visits enhance learning and provide valuable industry insight.
This course aims to:
- Equip students with specific curatorial skills valued by the contemporary curatorial sector by offering a mix of practical work experience and in depth engagement with ideas and theories pertinent to contemporary curating.
- Equip students with the ability to develop innovative techniques for engaging audiences with contemporary curatorial practice.
- Provide a creative and ambitious pedagogic structure that enables students from a wide range of undergraduate and professional backgrounds to develop and extend their curatorial skills and working methodologies.
- Support and promote the development of live and collaborative work through a range of Faculty, external and student led projects.
- Equip students with the skills necessary to undertake sustained, independent, innovative and interdisciplinary research.
- Produce a new generation of curators who are equipped to work in creative and flexible ways.