- The course is regularly refreshed to keep pace with advances in the financial sector, and is bench-marked against the syllabus of the CFA Institute. Current study themes include financial econometrics and forecasting, investment and risk management, sustainable strategic decision making, corporate financial management and international financial markets.
- Facilities include a trading suite equipped with Bloomberg Terminals, which are used by financial traders and investment banks globally. The suite provides you with access to the live financial and economic data, portfolio construction and optimisation tools, information and analytics to support your studies.
- The facility is also equipped with state-or-art econometric packages such E-views 12 or above which is used on Financial Econometrics and Forecasting module to estimate and interpret various econometric models for the purpose of designing trading strategies.
Northumbria University Newcastle
Applicants should normally have:
A minimum of a 2:2 honours degree in any subject, or substantial experience of working in a business organisation. It is recommended that your previous studies include quantitative elements.
English language requirements:
International applicants are required to have a minimum overall IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 with 5.5 in each component (or approved equivalent*).
As an increasing number of businesses look to a global marketplace, there is a growing need for financial experts with practical, legal and cultural understanding of international finance.
That the skills and knowledge you will gain will help you to achieve aspirations within the field of quantitative finance, portfolio management, and financial analysts.
To further improve your practical skills you have opportunity to undertake a project in place of the dissertation. This involves working on behalf of an external organisation that is looking for answers to a current business problem or question. You will work in a small group – participating in group and individual activities to identify solutions – giving you valuable experiences to boost your CV.
Our graduates have moved into a range of careers in the financial sector and beyond, including:
• Analyst at a stock broker
• Investment and security departments of large commercial and investment banks
• Trainee manager within the treasury of an international company
• Recruitment consultant specialising in finance personnel
• University lecture
This flexible MSc takes an applied approach to learning. In addition to the six taught modules in investment, econometrics and finance, you will choose between a dissertation and a Masters’ Consultancy Project working on a business problem faced by a real organisation.
You will be part of a global cohort of dedicated students. You will benefit from the experience of staff who have taught research-informed and cutting-edge topics to international students for many years, in a positive multicultural learning environment.
The course is delivered via lectures, seminars, workshops and one-to-one sessions. From the outset you will apply academic knowledge to real life business issues via tutorial-based activities, case discussion and group-work sessions. We also hold a number of guest lectures where you have the opportunity to engage with industry.
Financial Econometrics and Forecasting I (Core,20 Credits)
Research Methods and Analytics for Business Practice (Core,0 Credits)
Academic Language Skills for Postgraduate Business Students (Core – for International and EU students only,0 Credits)
Leadership and Management Development (Core,20 Credits)
Sustainable Strategic Decisions (Core,20 Credits)
Corporate Financial Management (Core,20 Credits)
International Financial Markets and Institutions (Core,20 Credits)
Investments and Risk Management (Core,20 Credits)
NBS Masters Consultancy Project (Optional,60 Credits)
The Newcastle Business School Masters Dissertation (Optional,60 Credits)
Masters' Management Enquiry (Optional,60 Credits)
Are you ready to start building your future?
Contact our admission counseller and get a free consultation.