This is a crucial part of your admission application and will determine your success in obtaining admission with the University of your choice. Many students may produce similar looking personal statements which is common however, we encourage all our students to spend at least 5 days working on the statement thinking about the following:
REMEMBER PERSONAL STATEMENT IS YOUR STORY! WRITE IT WITH PASSION.
- Your personal story, who you are, what your interests are, what is your background, what is the vision for your future. Use a formal tone to your statement.
- what is your educational background, how is this relevant to what your vision is and the course you are going to apply for?
- why have you applied for the particular university, go to the respective university website and do thorough research. all information you need is a click away on the websites. invest time in researching.
- do not copy paste from the internet and bring your own voice to the statement.
- think about how the course combined with your previous course you have studied will support your career aspirations.
- Talk about your career aspirations and how individual modules within the course support them. If you have a study gap, then justify this with reasons. Longer the study gap since you finished your last course, you will need a stronger personal statement outlining reasons.
- If you have any work experience, volunteering or any other form of experience, bring this to your statement and discuss what you have learnt and how you can apply that experience as a student.
- If you have already completed and wish to complete another Master, then you need to provide solid justification as to why you wish to do this and how both courses complement and support your career aspirations.
- Think about how you can contribute to society with a degree and what actions you will take.
- Carefully double check your spelling, grammar and content.
For further assistance on writing personal statements, visit British Council SOP Guidance
Interested in studying abroad with STUDENT CONNECT?
Enter your details below and we'll call you back when it suits you.