The Doctor of Philosophy or PhD is recognised worldwide and is often an essential requirement for those wishing to follow an academic or research career in health or social care.
- A PhD programme includes allocation to a bespoke supervisory team to advise and guide each student through all aspects of their study. In addition, each student has access to a wide range of learning opportunities within the Graduate School and the University as a whole.
- Our research degrees are not taught courses. Each student's research degree programme is personalised to match their interests to the research priorities, staff expertise and research facilities available.
- You will have access to dedicated research facilities and will be encouraged to publish in collaboration with your supervisors and to take part in research conferences.
Applications for research degrees are assessed on the following criteria:
- that the proposed research seems likely to satisfy the academic requirements of a research degree;
- that the proposed research is feasible in practical terms;
- that you seem likely to be able to cope with the academic demands of a research degree;
- that the Faculty is able to provide the appropriate supervisory expertise and resources
- PhD applicants will normally be expected to hold a Master's degree in a relevant area
The majority of students who enrol for a research degree complete their studies on a part-time basis while they are employed. The PhD award from Birmingham City University is a well established and valued professional qualification within the education sector. Typical careers include school management, working in further education or higher education or educational consultancy.
OpportUNIty: Student Jobs on Campus ensures that our students are given a first opportunity to fill many part-time temporary positions within the University. This allows you to work while you study with us, fitting the job around your course commitments. By taking part in the scheme, you will gain valuable experiences and employability skills, enhancing your prospects in the job market.
*The information’s are correct at the time of publishing, however it may change if university makes any changes after we have published the information. While we try our best to provide correct information, It is advisable to call us or visit university website for up to date information.