All children deserve a high quality physical education and all sportspeople benefit from well trained, responsible coaches. This course balances academic theory with more practical learning. As your theoretical knowledge grows your coaching practice will develop along with it. Alongside modules about the science of human movement, you will also study sport from social, ethical and historical perspectives. You will explore the impact sport has on people’s lives as well as on their bodies. This will allow you to go into your career with a more rounded view of how sport can benefit individuals and society.
There are plenty of opportunities to gain industry experience through our extensive connections with local schools and sports teams. Our partners in the area include York City Football Club and York City Knights rugby league team. Our community partners also contribute to your academic study, with a guest lecture or case study from an industry professional on every module. YSJActive, the university’s sport and wellbeing service, also offers opportunities to get involved in placements and community volunteering projects.
The academic staff who teach on this course are both experienced industry professionals and active researchers. This means that your learning is relevant and informed by the latest thinking. By joining us you will be part of our vibrant research environment and help push the boundaries of what we know and understand about sport. You will investigate contentious issues concerning:
- Bullying and gambling in sport
- How money impacts the personal lives of professional sportspeople
This course can be studied as a 3 year BSc (Hons) or as a 4 year MSci. If you choose the 4 year option you will graduate with a Masters level qualification. You can make this choice at any point during your degree.
Choosing this option means that you will:
- Stay for an extra year, gaining even more skills, knowledge and experience
- Be guaranteed a professional placement as part of your course
- Have more opportunities to build professional connections and increase your employability
- Leave with a postgraduate MSci instead of an undergraduate qualification, without needing to reapply for a new course