BA (Hons) Sociology with Criminology

BA (Hons) Sociology with Criminology

This course is about exploring the fundamentals of sociology and criminology simultaneously. We will explore different theories and apply them to the world around you. For example, you will consider how society responds to crime and deviance and how they are portrayed by the media. Looking at inequalities in society, we will think about how crime and the justice system impact and worsen these inequalities. This is your chance to discuss different ideas and perspectives on how to shape a better society.

75% of your modules will be sociology modules while the other 25% will be made up of Criminology modules, giving you the chance to gain knowledge in both areas. As you progress you can choose from a range of modules covering different topics. This allows you to tailor your degree to your interests and future career ambitions.

On specialist modules you will learn qualitative and quantitative research methods and apply them to your own research. We will introduce you to the different theoretical perspectives you will use to analyse topics such as:

  • Deviance
  • Social inequalities
  • Victimology
  • Technology

We will help you develop your critical thinking skills so you can back up your ideas with evidence and reason. Our team of academic staff will support you throughout your studies. They are all active in social research, meaning the material you cover is the most relevant it can be. Work with them in seminars, workshops and 1 to 1 tutorials and let their expertise become your own. 

If you do not yet meet the minimum requirements for entry straight onto this degree course, or feel you are not quite ready for the transition to Higher Education, this is a great option for you. Passing a foundation year guarantees you a place on this degree course the following academic year.

Entry Requirements


  • 104 UCAS Tariff points
  • 3 GCSEs at grade C/4 (or equivalent) including English Language.

International Students

If you are an international student you will need to show that your qualifications match our entry requirements.

Information about international qualifications and entry requirements can be found on our International pages.

If English is not your first language you will need to show that you have English Language competence at IELTS level 6.0 (with no skill below 5.5) or equivalent.

Mature Learners Entry Scheme

If you have been out of education for 3 years or more and have a grade C GCSE in English Language or equivalent, you are eligible for our entry scheme for mature learners. It's a scheme that recognises non-traditional entry qualifications and experience for entry onto this course. Information on how to apply can be found on our dedicated page.

Career Prospects

On this course you will gain valuable skills which can lead to a variety of jobs in areas such as welfare, social research and law enforcement. You will gain research, analytical and presentation skills that are in high demand in a range of careers.

This degree could be the first step toward your career as a:

  • Charity officer
  • Crime scene investigator
  • Detective
  • Probation officer
  • Social researcher
  • Youth worker

Course Details

Year 1

Researching and Presenting
Introduction to Sociological Theory
Sociology of Everyday Life
Preventing and Punishing

Year 2

Social Research Methods 1
Sociology of Work
Issues in Criminal Justice
Crime and the Economy
Social Research Methods 2
Political Sociology
Sociology of the Very Worst
Social Inequalities: Contemporary Debates

Year 3

Sociological Investigation
Sex Work
Critical Criminology
Gender, Body and Power
Spatial Sociology
Technology and Society
Solving Social Problems
Crime and Media
Prisons and Penology
Youth and Resistance
State, Nation and Migration
Health, Illness and Society
Digital Entrepreneurship and Social Transformation

*The information’s are correct at the time of publishing, however it may change if university makes any changes after we have published the information. While we try our best to provide correct information, It is advisable to call us or visit university website for up to date information.

Are you ready to start building your future?

Contact our admission counseller and get a free consultation.